Wednesday 17 April 2013

White Foxes


This is my latest Feral picture. It was the most complex one so far. I wanted the background to be really dense, and it required a lot of work. As usual, it's done with a fineliner, colour pencils and infinite patience.

When I draw these pictures, I come up with a general idea of the image, and then, while drawing and gradually conceiving of the details, I start to spin a story around it, trying to work out what exactly is happening. This one is a mystery even to me, as I can't settle on a single explanation. I'd like to think that there is a transformation in the works: the foxes are really spirits, and they are in the process of a magical ritual, changing a human girl into a fox. Or the opposite: a fox is becoming human, before venturing on a mission into the human world. Maybe the girl was raised by foxes, deep in the woods, and her fox family is watching over her while she sleeps.

Like the other Feral prints, White Foxes is available in my shop.

2 comments:

  1. This is delightful! Really fell in love with this one when I saw it. Great amount of detail and work put into it. Saving for a few of your prints starts in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. This is so beautiful. I like the aerial view too. She looks at peace with all those pretty foxes, like she belongs with them. I like how you came up with many possible stories and explanations for this piece.

    ReplyDelete